Nature Literacy Intensive
The Nature Literacy Intensive is a year-long training designed to help you feel more connected to the natural world while giving you the confidence and foundational skills to live and interact with the seasonal landscape. This program is ideal for nature enthusiasts, naturalists, outdoor educators, homesteaders or wilderness guides, and all those motivated and committed to becoming nature literate. The curriculum consists of structured and guided learning as well as self-directed learning so that participants can specialize in their own unique passions. The continuous cohort of participants inspires community building skills, collaboration, and peer mentoring.
This program is organized for participants to be able to maintain their current career, family or other commitments. The schedule is one long weekend per month for ten months with one six-day canoe-based intensive in August. There will be home-based learning assignments between classes to enhance learning and integration.
The skills and topics include:
- Foraging – for food, medicine, and utility
- Nature awareness and connection
- Tracking and Nature Speak
- Natural movement and Navigation
- Primitive craft and Fieldcraft
- Hunting, trapping, and fishing
- Canoe and canoe trip skills
- Ancestral healing practices
- Wilderness First Aid
Outcomes of the program include:
- Feeling at home in the forest
- Personal sovereignty and resilience
- Improved physical strength, mobility, and body awareness
- Competence and confidence for wilderness trips
- Deeper connection to nature, self and community
- Historical and philosophical context for nature literacy
- Practical skills for living and thriving in the wilderness
- Certification by SOLO in Wilderness First Aid and CPR
2020-2021 Cohort Schedule:
9am Friday through 4pm Sunday
May 15-17, 2020
June 12-14, 2020
July 10-12, 2020
August 7-12, 2020 Canoe Intensive
September 11-13, 2020
October 9-11, 2020
November 13-15, 2020
December Holiday Break
January 8-10, 2021
February 12-14, 2021
March 12-14, 2021
April 9-11, 2021
This program is intensive and will require weekly work of 2-6 hours throughout the year in addition to the course time. Course weekends are full immersion with daytime and evening activities, tending your sacred fire (taking care of yourself) will be a necessary component to your success.
A 50% deposit is required to hold your space, remainder is due April 1, 2020. Other payment options may be available on a case by case basis.
*Depending on individual passions some minor additional fees may be required for materials.
Camping and access to a kitchen is available each weekend. Food is not provided.